It’s always good to make yourself look presentable, even if you’re just running errands for the day! But let’s face it, as moms, spending time getting ready is probably last on the list of things to-do before running out the door.
However, with a little planning and organization, any mom can get dressed in something besides yoga pants before heading out for the day. Here are some fashion tips for busy moms.
1. Have outfits ready to wear. This sounds simple enough, right? Have outfits hanging in your closet that you can grab off the hanger and put on within minutes. I put outfits together while I put my laundry away. I hang the pants (or skirt) on the same hanger with the top. Sometimes I even attach coordinating accessories to the hanger and place the shoes I want to wear underneath.
2. Keep track of outfits that you like. If you’re on Pinterest, you probably pin outfits that you like. I pin two kinds of outfits; ones that I can see myself wearing, and ones that are a bit more eclectic than I’d normally wear, but still inspirational. After you have some favorites pinned, go back a paragraph and read #1.
3. Stick with a color family. One super easy way to put an outfit together is by color. Stick with one color family to create a tonal look. Today I went gray-scale.
4. Use the rule of three. Another easy way to get dressed is by following the rule of three. Pick three colors (prints can be included as a color) and build an outfit from there. The pictures above also demonstrates this; gray jeans, polka dot top, black and white printed scarf. Three colors. Simple.
5. Brainstorm before getting to your closet. I’m a planner. Usually my whole day is planned out in my head (or at least an outline sketch of it). I use the same line of thinking with picking an outfit. Before I open my closet, I know what I want to wear. Some days my brainstorming might be a simple as knowing that I want to wear my red pants, and then once I get to my closet, I take it from there. But, it all starts with a plan.
April is a teacher and mother of two from the blog Knocked Up Fabulous. After her first pregnancy, she vowed to stay away from men’s t-shirts and baggy sweat pants. Since then she’s been all about staying fabulous with two little ones in tow.