After a tough workout, it’s important to me to refuel my body! This chocolate granola banana berry smoothie is a perfect post-workout treat.
Disclosure: This post has been sponsored by Back to Nature. As always, all opinions are my own.
How to make our Chocolate Granola Banana Berry post workout smoothie
This smoothie is seriously SO easy to make! You’ll only need five ingredients, all of which I grabbed at my local Stop & Shop:
1) Back to Nature Chocolate Delight Granola – The perfect way to add whole grain oats (an important source of fiber) and delicious flavor to your drink! Back to Nature actually has 11 different kinds of granola too – I personally love the Chocolate Delight variety the best. (Who doesn’t love chocolate?!)
And a little bonus for ya’ll – Ibotta currently has a cash back offer right now on this granola! Buy 1 package and get $1.75 cash back through the app. This offer is also valid on Back to Nature nuts.
2) Frozen mixed berries – Berries are rich in fiber and health-promoting polyphenols, a class of plant-compounds that have tons of benefits in the body. Frozen berries are super convenient to keep on hand in the freezer, especially when they’re out of season.
3) Unsweetened almond milk – This is an easy way to blend up your banana berry smoothie without adding tons of calories.
4) Banana – In this smoothie, I’ve used half a frozen banana as it adds both creaminess and sweetness. Nutritionally, it also gives your smoothie a little boost of potassium.
Helpful hint – my Stop & Shop always has bananas on the clearance produce rack! I buy them and immediately cut ‘em up and freeze them for smoothies.
5) Greek yogurt – Adding Greek yogurt is my favorite way to boost the protein content in a smoothie. I’ve used both vanilla or chocolate Greek yogurt in this at different times, and both work well. If you want to cut down on the added sugar, you can also definitely add plain – it’s just a bit tarter.
Once you’ve stocked up on these five ingredients, you’ll just blend ‘em up together and it’s as easy as that!
The result is a post workout smoothie with a great blend of carbohydrates and protein that’s ideal as a small meal after long or intense exercise.
This granola smoothie is naturally gluten-free. To meet other dietary needs, here are a few ideas for modifications:
- Dairy free – use coconut milk yogurt rather than Greek yogurt, or skip the yogurt altogether and add a scoop of plant-based protein powder.
- Nut free – Use a different milk alternative rather than almond milk, like soy milk or oat milk.
All these products, to modify the recipe for your needs, can also easily be found at Stop & Shop.
Ways to mix up this granola smoothie:
This recipe is delish as-is, but if you’re looking for ways to mix it up, here are a few ideas!
- Need extra protein? Add half a scoop of chocolate protein powder to the recipe.
- Try using only half a cup of almond milk for a thick, spoonable smoothie bowl. Then you can layer up even more of the delicious Back to Nature Chocolate Delight Granola on top!
- Get some extra veggies in your post-workout smoothie by adding spinach, kale, arugula, or even cooked beets.
- Change it into a chocolate granola banana peanut butter smoothie! Keep the recipe the same except a) skip the berries, b) use a full banana, and c) add a spoonful of peanut butter.
Other ways to use Back to Nature Chocolate Delight Granola:
There are so many ways to enjoy Back to Nature Chocolate Delight Granola too – which my family loves thanks to its simple, delicious ingredients! You’ll for sure love it in this smoothie, but here are some more ideas:
- Enjoy it with milk as a cereal for breakfast in the morning.
- Layer it with vanilla Greek yogurt for a nutritious take on dessert.
- Melt honey and peanut butter together, then mix in the granola and press it into a square dish. Cool it in the fridge then cut it into yummy, homemade granola bars.
- Slice a banana into pieces and then freeze them. Dip ‘em in melted dark chocolate, then roll them in granola, and put them back in the freezer. These make such a delicious sweet treat that you can grab anytime!
- Top your weekend pancakes or waffles with warmed berries and this chocolate granola. Yum!
- Make baked apples or pears and top ‘em with the granola.
- Mix this granola into chia seed pudding.
PS – Did you know that Back to Nature also makes additional products besides granola? You’ll definitely want to check them out at your local Stop & Shop. You can find products like cookies, crackers, nuts, and trail mix. (And there’s an Ibotta offer on cookies and crackers as well! Buy 1 box, Get $1.00 cash back now through 4/30/19).
I hope you enjoy this smoothie and the Back to Nature Chocolate Delight Granola as much as I do. Enjoy!
Chocolate Granola Banana Berry Smoothie
This chocolate granola banana berry smoothie is the best post workout smoothie! Packed with healthy carbs and protein - plus it tastes great.
- 1/4 cup Back to Nature Chocolate Delight Granola plus additional for topping – optional
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 2/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt vanilla or chocolate work well!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
Mix all ingredients in the blender and pour into a jar. Top with additional granola for garnish if desired, and enjoy!
Nutrition analysis (approximate):
390 calories, 7 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 246 mg sodium, 64.5 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 19.5 g protein, Vitamin A: 11%, Vitamin C: 59%, Calcium: 58%, Iron: 9%