One of my favorite things as a kid was having breakfast for dinner. Today, it makes for a fun “special occasion” for my family where my kids enjoy pitching in to help me make something fun.
I was really excited to be chosen by the folks at I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter through the Clever Girls Collective to come up with a recipe for my family to enjoy “Breakfast After Dark.” The I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter folks have some great recipe ideas on their website. I decided to create my own since my kids are not big egg eaters. So I came up with the following idea…. drum roll please…..
Pancakes with Sautéed Apples
First, I picked up some I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter at my local market. I think it’s a product that is relatively easy to find at most major markets nationwide, but you can also check their website for a participating market near you.
This recipe is almost like having Apple Pie for dinner. I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter was so easy to cook with and made this recipe simply delicious! Did you know that I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! has 70% less saturated fat than butter, no hydrogenated oils and is made from a blend of vegetable oils? It is also gluten free. Good to know.
(recipe from AllRecipes.com)
First, I made the sautéed apples. This serves 4. The instructions are as follows:
- 2 tablespoons I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
- 2 large tart apples – peeled, cored and sliced or cubes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large skillet or saucepan, melt I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter over medium heat; add apples. Cook, stirring constantly, until apples are almost tender, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water; add to skillet. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and serve warm.
Good Old Fashioned Pancakes
Recipe from AllRecipes.com – I am not a big cook and I have NEVER made pancakes from scratch so this was a big accomplishment for me. Yes, I am patting myself on the back.
This recipe supposedly serves 8, but if your family wants 2 pancakes each, I’d say it serves 4, which is perfect for my family.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter – melted
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
- Heat a lightly oiled (I used the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter here too) griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
The I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter was super easy to cook with. I love that it’s already soft and melts easily in the pan or in the microwave. For the pancakes, it took only 20 seconds to melt. I hope you’ll give this recipe a try and let me know what your family thinks.
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter had a lot of fun with this campaign creating “webisodes” featuring “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” star Lisa Vanderpump. I would certainly like this hunky guy to come make me “Breakfast After Dark.” Sorry hubby, you don’t mind, right?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.