Tabbouleh is typically made with bulgar. Using quinoa instead makes this recipe both gluten free and higher in protein. It’s delicious, easy to make, and great to bring to potluck dinners. This salad is great on it’s own, as a side dish or over Crostini as well.
Gluten Free Appetizer: Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1-2 cups chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup diced red onion, sprinkled with 1 tbs. ume vinegar
- 1-2 tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-2 tbs. olive oil
- Pinch of pepper and/or salt (optional to taste)
- Bring water and sea salt to a boil in a small pot.
- Add quinoa. Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let sit covered for another 10 minutes.
- Fluff into a mixing bowl with fork.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and olive oil over quinoa. Mix through well with a fork.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Let sit about 30 minutes. The quinoa will absorb the flavors and fast even better.
For the Crostini, simply cut a loaf of French or Italian bread crosswise into small slices. Preheat the oven to 350. Place bread slices on a baking sheet and brush each slice with olive oil. You will likely need about 6 tbs. of oil. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until golden brown.