Honey has been used for thousands of years for its health benefits. Honey can be used in a number of ways from taking it orally to using it as a facial mask, foot treatment or as part of alternative medicine. Its sweet taste makes it easier for children to agree to take it thereby reaping the health benefits unlike taking broccoli or asparagus. Here is a summary of some of the best health benefits of honey:
Taking honey by itself or in a beverage
- Natural energy and immunity booster by providing a healthy calorie and energy source with its natural sugars and building the immunity system with regular use
- Regulates blood sugar with its combination of glucose and fructose making it possible to enjoy the sweetness without having to worry about blood sugar levels.
- Antioxidant properties contained in honey can help prevent cancer with regular use
- Treats coughs and soothes sore throats thanks to its strong antibacterial properties and is even more effective when mixed with fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
- Helps with weight loss because although it is a source of calories it also digests fat effectively.
- When taken with cinnamon it can help reduce bad breath and when taken with milk it can help with insomnia so you can get better sleep.
Honey can also be applied onto the skin for a number of benefits including:
- Healing cuts and wounds as a result of its antiseptic, antimicrobial and antibacterial properties which helps in cleaning wounds and cuts and keeping them free from infection and can also be used for minor burns to prevent bacterial growth and infection as well as promote fast healing.
- It can also help to resolve dandruff and scalp problems like itching and scaling when applied to the problem areas and left for about three hours before rinsing. It should be mixed with 10 percent warm water.
- When used in conjunction with cinnamon it can effectively cure skin infections like ringworms and eczema when the mixture is applied to the problem areas.
- Honey can also be used for clearing blemish marks and pimples although it is good on its own when mixed with cinnamon and applied on the pimples or problem areas and left overnight the results will be seen much sooner.
Honey makes an excellent addition to one’s diet or beauty regimen for all the benefits it offers in a natural and tasteful package.
Author Bio: Ruby Andrew lives in Bristol, UK and is an avid reader and blogger. Since her early years she’s had a passion for writing. Her articles have been published in leading UK newspapers. Her areas of interest are food, reviews (Book/Movie), Travel, Fashion, Lifestyle and fitness. She works as a guest blogger on her chosen areas of interest and currently writes on behalf of EHIC Card