One thing I love most about summer is salads. We typically have taco night about once a week. Instead of traditional tacos, I like to create healthier recipes like this one for a vegan taco salad. With the right ingredients, it’s not only delicious but also nutritious. Scoop it up with our homemade corn chips too. YUM!!
I’m not always a fan of vegan “meat” substitutes, so I make this one full of veggie goodness. With the mushroom mix and beans I use, you won’t miss it either.
Dietitian’s tip: Garbanzos — also known as chickpeas — and black beans are an excellent source of soluble fiber, the type of fiber that can help control blood cholesterol and blood sugar levels. They are a perfect ingredient for this vegan taco salad.
Why Try a Vegan Diet?
You don’t need to become 100% vegan, but it is worth trying it once a week. For example, I do no-meat Mondays.
What are the benefits of eating vegan?
Studies show that vegans have better heart health and lower odds of having certain diseases. Those who skip meat have less of a chance of becoming obese or getting heart disease, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. Vegans are also less likely to get diabetes and some kinds of cancer, especially cancers of the GI tract and the breast, ovaries, and uterus in women.WebMD
You may even live longer by going vegan. Eating more vegetables, less meat and dairy may help you cut down on your daily calories, which can help you better control your weight. Vegans tend to have a lower BMI than people who eat a meat-based diet.
Vegans tend to consume a diet that has better nutrition overall. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and nuts are staples of the vegan diet. These foods are rich in antioxidants, fiber, and other nutritious vitamins and minerals that help protect against diseases like diabetes and cancer.
Vegan Taco Salad
- 2 cans Rotel Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 2 tablespoons cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- One medium red onion, diced
- 1 can sweet corn – brown in a skillet for extra flavor if you’d like
- 8 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 6 lettuce leaves – Romain hearts work well as they are nice and crunchy
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
“CHORIZO” MUSHROOM Vegan TACO salad MEAT
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms, or mushrooms of choice
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons adobo sauce (not the peppers; just the sauce from the can)
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1/4 cup water ( for cooking)
You might also like: Superfood Salad with Quinoa, Chickpea and Kale
Heat the mushroom “taco meat” in a non-stick skillet. Combine with other ingredients and serve immediately, or refrigerate it to heat another night.
Baked Tortilla Chips – Great for Scooping your Vegan Taco Salad
Baking your tortilla chips is a healthy alternative to buying those that are often fried in oil. It’s also a cost-effective way to make chips to your taste.
- Buy a pack fo corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Slice the tortillas like a pizza into 6 sections
- Lay them out in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Bake the tortilla wedges for approximately 6 minutes
- Turn over wedges with tongs
- Sprinkle a little salt and back for 6-9 minutes more
- When they are just beginning to get a golden color, remove them and let them cool
- Sprinkle with more salt and serve
Have you ever tried a vegan recipe? If not, this Vegan Taco Salad with homemade chips is a great way to give it a try.
You might also like: Sweet and Spicy Mango Habanero Salsa