When it comes to holiday baking, most people think about gingerbread houses and cookies. Have you ever had gingerbread cupcakes? They are an annual tradition for our family Christmas Party. Decorating cupcakes is also a great way to bring the entire family together to work on a project away from their electronic devices.
We selected the Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cake and Cookie mix for our cupcakes. Nothing is as easy as a pre-made mix and I am all about easy. For cupcakes, we adjusted the recipe/cooking time just a bit.
Easy Peasy Gingerbread Cupcakes
Makes approximately 16 cupcakes
- One box Gingerbread Cake/Cookie Mix
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 350
- Blend gingerbread mix, water and egg in a bowl
- Ladle into cupcake tin lined with decorative cupcake cups – fill about 3/4 each
- Bake for 25 minutes – test with toothpick to make sure they are cooked through (toothpick should come out clean)
- Allow to cool before decorating
Toppings we used
- White Decorating Icing
- Red and white peppermint sugar
- Red and green spiced gumdrops
- Marshmallow trees
- Powdered sugar
I could not believe how excited my kids were to help make these cupcakes. My daughter helped with the mix and pouring the batter and my son was thrilled to decorate his own cupcakes. They had a bit of a design competition between them. I may be raising future pastry chefs. I was quite impressed with their skills.
Create fun holiday baking traditions like this one with your family.