Mother’s Day is right around the corner and everyone is looking for the perfect way to honor mom or their wonderful wife. When most think about Mother’s Day – or let me rephrase that, when moms think about Mother’s Day – they dream of relaxation or one day to not feel guilty about doing something for themselves. Help them indulge in that with these DIY Mother’s Day gift basket ideas!
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an affiliate, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases. It does not change your user experience in any way.
Why DIY Gift Baskets Are Better Than Premade?
Assembling a DIY Mother’s Day gift basket takes time and effort. You have to know who you are buying for, what they enjoy, and purchase all the items in a timely fashion in order to be ready for the special occasion. Another reason the DIY basket idea is a better option is that it can be customized.
You may be thinking, Wow! That is a lot of work when I could just go grab one off the shelf. So yes, it is more work; but I can guarantee you that when that special lady of yours opens it, her first thought will be, “Oh my gosh, this is so thoughtful!”
Customization of the basket is a real attraction. How many times have you purchased some type of “set” where you really only wanted one or two items, but instead you paid full price to throw all but a couple of items away? I know I have! (This is especially true around Christmas time when big box stores have every gift set imaginable.) Making it yourself really allows you to choose the best items for your mom this holiday.
9 Perfect DIY Mother’s Day Gift Basket Ideas
Before I give you some of my favorite gift basket ideas, I want to let you know that if you are not a fan of in store shopping, this is written for you! Most or all of these items can be purchased from Amazon. We are huge Amazon Prime fans in our house because of the free shipping which makes Amazon super convenient. If you don’t have Prime, it is definitely worth checking into – we can’t imagine not having it.
1. Fitness Basket
This basket is perfect if mom is just getting back into the groove of things at the gym or if she has always had a passion for fitness. Many mamas these days are turning to fitness activities for their “me” time.
- Gym bag: Instead of using a traditional basket to put everything in, you can use a gym bag and fill it with the remaining gifts. I LOVE this gym bag. It has a shoe compartment, which helps keep your dirty shoes separate from the rest of your gear, and it also comes in a variety of colors.
- Earbuds/earphones: The perfect touch to a workout! They drown out the noise, can be relaxing, and make workouts more enjoyable. If your lucky lady has Apple products (iPhone, iPod, etc.) these Air Pods are a nice accessory. They charge in their cute little case and connect wirelessly through Bluetooth. They also stay snug in the ears compared to other models. If you are looking for something a little less expensive or some that are compatible with Androids, I highly recommend AfterShokz Bone Conduction Headphones. They are perfect for the athlete (which is who they were designed for), sweatproof, and noise reducing. They are all in one piece, so you don’t have to worry about them falling out, because they rest snugly on the outside of the ear and are connected by a flexible headband. Aftershokz come in different colors and are compatible with many different devices.
- At-home workout equipment: If mom prefers to workout at home, resistance bands and medicine balls are some of the simplest fitness accessories to use. These bands are inexpensive and ideal to include in a fitness gift basket. The set comes with 5 bands in different strengths, and your mama also gets access to an e-book with tons of different exercises using the bands. You can also grab a medicine ball for her basket either along with or in place of resistance bands! These come in a variety of sizes, often around 4-20 pounds, and are great for anyone looking to tone up, do physical therapy, or engage in certain stretches.
- Arm Band: This arm band phone pouch is amazing! It keeps your phone with you, but since the actual pouch goes up on your arm, all the cords are kept out of the way (if you are using corded headphones). You have the security of your phone without having to hold it, and that allows you to better track your workouts (if you have the correct apps installed on your device).
- Running Belt: If your lady carries more stuff with her, maybe the running belt would be a more suiting option than an arm band. These are especially great for athletes who might need to carry gels or shot blocks out on a long run – or even just your set of keys in addition to your phone. Another step up would be something like a Fuel Belt, which is like a running belt but also comes with water bottles on each side.
- Fitness Tracker: Fitness trackers have taken the world by storm recently, so why not jump on the wagon? This Fitbit Inspire is a simple tracker with all the essential basic features. It counts steps (and other daily activity), has a clock face, can be synced to the app using smartphones. If you want a more advanced fitness tracker there is the Versa. This would also be the closet fitness tracker you could get to the Apple Watch as far as similarity goes, without the hefty price tag. It does everything the Inspire does and more (extra features include storing and playing music, the fact that it can be used when swimming, etc.). It can also receive phone notifications (as long as the phone is nearby), such as calls, texts, and messages. Of course, women love accessories, so be a little extra and buy a couple of additional bands for the fitness tracker that can be used for different occasions.
- Printable Workouts: Scour Pinterest and you’re bound to find a ton of great workout ideas! Print out a few to toss in the basket, like our treadmill HIIT workout!
- Water Bottle: No workout or fitness session is complete without a water bottle. Be sure to top off your basket with one of these. My favorite kind during a workout are the ones with a spout. This eliminates the time of having to mess with a twist off cap (just something else to keep up with), and you don’t have to stop to drink if you are in the middle of cardio.
2. Relaxation Basket
We talked earlier about how moms need some R & R. So, this set of Mother’s Day gift basket ideas just screams to take a day off and just relax!
- Essential Oil Diffuser: If you aren’t familiar with essential oils and diffusers you should definitely check them out. They are trendy right now, and for good reason – many people wonder if diffusing the oils might have some relaxation (and possibly even pain relief!) benefts. At the least, they’re likely a better source of smells than something like a plug-in air freshener. The diffuser is what puts out the aroma of the oils – I find this one to very decorative and affordable.
- Essential Oils: Don’t forget the oils! Most of the time they do not come with the diffuser and you’ll need to buy them separately. So, grab this little set which has all the scents for a relaxing and calming evening. The scents included are Jasmine, Citronella, Tangerine, Lavender, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Orange, Rosemary, and Clove. For something extra to include with this, here is a chart that gives some properties and uses that would be good for reference. You could print this out on some nice cardstock to put in the basket with your gifts!
- Good Book: To add to relaxation why not throw in a good book! Think about what your mama’s favorite kinds of reads are (fiction? non-fiction?) and scope out your local bookstore or Amazon for some good options. Right now, especially for women, I’m loving Girl, Stop Apologizing and Girl, Wash Your Face, both written by Rachel Hollis. These two reads are super empowering and goal crushing. Girl, Wash Your Face is so appropriate for Mother’s Day because she discusses the guilt that women often carry and how to get past it.
- Candles: One of my absolute favorite things to set a calming mood are candles. If you have never tried Woodwick candles, you are missing out! They are not the standard candle, they make this amazing noise that makes you feel like you are sitting fit beside a real fire. The best thing about it? No campfire smell, no ashes to clean, and to put it out you just slip the lid on it goes out!
- Massage: You could approach this in a few ways. Hubbies, if you’re putting together this gift basket for your wife, you could offer up a homemade coupon for a massage from you. You could also put in a gift certificate for a local spa to get a massage. Or, add something like this massage chair pad to your basket! I had one of these in the past and it was so amazing to use after a long day; it really helps relax those tense muscles and tired areas.
3. Spa Basket
EVERY mom loves to be pampered, but sometimes there is not enough time to actually leave the house or it costs a ton of money. This would be an excellent DIY Mother’s Day gift idea that would leave her feeling rejuvenated and beautiful!
- Comfy robe: Nothing gives more of a spa feeling than a white robe. If you have ever been to a fancy hotel or resort, that is what they always leave for guests. Putting on this robe will leave mom feeling like a queen of her own palace.
- Spa slippers: What would leave more of a spa feeling are slippers to match that comfy bath robe! So, snag a pair of these to top off the ensemble.
- Face care products: Facial care is becoming a hot ticket now, along with chemical peels and charcoal masks. This one comes highly recommended from a mom blogger than I follow. It is easy to use and fairly mess free. The mask is meant to be used sparingly, so perfect for moms that don’t want to follow a routine.
- Scented Epsom Salts: Now to set the mood, along with a long hot bath are some bath salts. These bring a whole new meaning to soaking in the tub. What a great stress reliever!
- Mani/Pedi: You can approach this by adding a gift certificate in for a mani/pedi – or providing your special mom with the tools for her to DIY at home! A simple manicure kit can go a long way, and you can add this to the basket along with a pumice stone for exfoliating the professional way. The manicure kit is small enough to be portable which is also great for tossing in the purse or suitcase but has the bells and whistles that are used at a professional salon. I was going to leave this one out, but I can’t. I’m not sure if you have heard of salons using rocks for the massage portion of a pedicure. THEY ARE HEAVEN. They can even be warmed up, making the pedicure part irresistible.
4. Yoga Basket
Does the special lady in your life love fitness but really has a passion for yoga? That’s perfect, because I have dedicated a whole Mother’s Day gift basket idea to yoga, leaving mom with a total Zen feeling.
- Yoga Mat: Yoga is much more comfortable when done on a mat – so be sure to grab one of these for your gift basket. There are tons of fun mat designs out there if you do some searching, so if you know your mom loves donuts – you can probably find a yoga mat with donuts printed on it, haha!
- Bag: This bag is great for throwing in a mat and water bottle. It is not too bulky, has a dedicated space for the mat and her water bottle, and it is stylish. If mom is running short on time and is in a hurry this is a great pick. What if she needs a little more space? And you need something to put all these great gifts in? Then I would definitely choose this bag. I really like the feature where you attach the mat on the outside and still have a whole section that closes up for more stuff.
- Mat cleaner: With those feet moving all around and the mat possibly going to group sessions, yoga mat cleaning spray is a genius idea. It can be used at home or kept in the bag for those days when you just need to get out of the house. And guess what? It’s organic. If she needs something a little more convenient, you can find cleaning wipes as well.
- Yoga Coffee Mug: Many mornings we are need coffee to get moving. This mug is the perfect complement for the yoga lover. Whether she’s just starting to get into yoga or has been a fan for a while, this mug is a great reminder of all the different poses.
- Fitness Attire: I have always heard people say you want to look the part, or when you look good you feel good. Whether it’s your first time going to a fitness class or you have been to a thousand times, you always FEEL better when you have the right attire. Here’s where those yoga pants and cute headbands come into play. As silly as it sounds, it’s always nice to have dedicated clothes to wear in certain events.
5. Gardening Basket
Does your mom or wife have a green thumb? I can’t seem to keep a small window plant alive, but I know some of you mamas out there have got crazy awesome gardens going in your yard. Here is the ultimate Mother’s Day gift basket idea that will be sure to raise the bar for all those gardening ladies.
- Planter: So, I am going to let the secret out early on this one and go ahead and tell you a trick of what you can put everything in. Drumroll please…. a PLANTER! How cute is that? It will hold everything, and she will have a fresh pot to start planting. Plus, if you have ever shopped garden centers, you know those things are not cheap! Here is a rustic, outdoorsy one. If you need something a little less rustic and more modern, you can try this one.
- Gardening Gloves: Next, get her some gardening gloves. It is so much nicer to not have to worry about getting so dirty when planting. Also, this will save her from potential spider and insect bites if she’s digging in their territory.
- Gardening Tools: Don’t forget these! A gardening project isn’t complete without a small shovel and hand rake. Some pruning shears would be nice too in order to keep everything from overgrowing. If your mom has already been gardening for a while, maybe take a peek at what tools she’s already got to see if she needs anything new.
- Watering can: This little watering can is great for indoor and outdoor plants. It’s easy to carry and the size of it is compact enough to not be a nuisance when storing.
- Seeds: My favorite part, because there’s endless variety here – from flowers to herbs to veggies and more! You can grab a variety of them online or at your local garden/home supply store. I would probably pick something that could be planted right away since Mother’s Day is when everyone starts getting Spring fever. But, that doesn’t mean you couldn’t get something later on as well.
- Container garden: Not to mention there is always the idea of getting a small container garden or an additional planter, which is perfect when you only have a small space that can be used.
6. Summer Basket
As fast as Mother’s Day is approaching us, summer will be here before we know it. This is one of my favorite Mother’s Day gift basket ideas. When I think about summer I think of being outside, having BBQs, going to the beach, and being around some type of water! So, let’s get mom ready to catch some rays.
- Beach Towel: No summer trip is complete without a beach towel. So, pick out her favorite color or design. Also, I found out about these round summer towels a while back with I think are super cool. Great for getting a tan or being able to lay it down for the kids.
- Flip Flops: Let mom show off her summer nail polish with a pair of these flip flops! To make them a little more personalized you could have them monogrammed by a local business or an Etsy shop.
- Spikers Holders: I think these spikers are a must have! How many times have you set your drink down on the beach to come back and find it full of sand? Not cool. The spiker is like a beach cup holder, getting it up off the ground, and perfect distance to reach while sitting in a low chair or on that towel we talked about.
- Can Coooler: Summer sure does bring warm temperatures making drinks that are left out hot, which leads to waste. So, throw in a can cooler to keep them drinkable. Again, this is another accessory that mom might not buy on her own – but would probably love to have.
- Sunglasses: If mom or your wife doesn’t have a dedicated pair of beach sunglasses, I really like these shades. I messed up one year and wore my “good” ones. Let’s just say after one day of the salt and sand they were demolished. Having a few inexpensive pairs specifically for the beach is a great idea.
- Waterproof Phone Pouches: These waterproof pouches are terrific for taking the extra precaution of not ruining your phone. Plus, it will keep the sand and scratches off if you are headed to the coast.
- Beach bag: To top of this DIY basket, put all those goodies in this beach bag and ta-da! You have a finished gift that is easy to put together, thrifty, and totally functional!
7. Coffee Basket
Maybe mama is a coffee connoisseur, or she just loves it and her day doesn’t start until she has a cup…or two. The coffee lover basket would be paired great with some sweet treats or small snacks if you needed some more fillers or boutique style items.
- Coffee Mugs / Tumblers: Before we start let’s just say that I LOVE mugs and tumblers. So rather than suggesting just one of each I’m going to give you a small list. You would not believe the endless options in this area!
- K-Cups: These are great if she has a Keurig. If you aren’t familiar it’s considered a 1 cup coffee machine. But they also offer a carafe for the mornings that one doesn’t do the trick or if you have guests in town. If storage is needed for the pods, this is great. You can sit the Keurig on top and the coffee will still be conveniently near the maker. They also make filters and these reusable K-Cup pods so that bagged coffee can be used if you run out of pods.
- Coffee: If your mama uses a standard coffee maker and you know she would rather use bagged coffee, get this canister and a scoop. It can be left out on the counter without of the clutter. This is also a great option for the more eco-friendly mama who doesn’t want to use the K-Cups because of plastic waste.
- Snacks: Remember I mentioned snacks to go along with a cup of joe? Biscoff cookies are a common treat to snack on. There are also these little sticks that you can stir your coffee with and it adds a hint of flavor!
- Cute Sign: A coffee bar area is not complete without a cute little sign. You can find cute kitchen signs that can dress up any coffee nook. You can also find free printable ones (like the printable kitchen art in this post) that you could frame yourself.
8. Baking Basket
Most moms have experience in the baking world. If they don’t like doing it, they have still tried because kids love helping and eating those fresh baked cookies or cupcakes. Rather than just buying a boxed mix or throwing some utensils in a bag, spruce that idea up for the ultimate baking gift below! (PS – Want a fun idea for assembling this? Instead of a basket, you can either use a large mixing bowl, a galvanized tub (more of a farmhouse look), or a Bundt cake pan!)
- Mixing Bowl: Start out with a glass or stainless steel mixing bowl. These glass ones are large enough for most amounts of batter and have a small little spout to make baking as mess free as possible. Now we are going to fill that thing up!
- Cupcake Holders: Pick out some cupcake holders – you can either go for some cute standard paper ones, or invest in reusable silicon ones. Either set will work fine.
- Spatulas: Let’s face it, you can’t bake without spatulas. I love these spatulas that come in different designs for an extra fun touch.
- Cookie scoop: You could also throw in this scoop, it works great for brownie bites and cookie dough.
- Whisk: It wouldn’t hurt to add in a whisk – I feel like somehow this is always the kitchen utensil that seems to go missing when I need it! (Just me? 😉 )
- Measuring cups and spoons: I know every woman has at least two sets, but these are collapsible, excellent for saving space in that cluttered utensil drawer.
- Cake Decorating Supplies: Any time I bake where people will see goods I use this decorating kit. Even if you have no experience with decorating, the tips are super easy to use. You can attach them on these piping bags or use Ziploc bags from home.
- Dish Towels: Another practical touch would be some cute dish towels. Obviously, there will be a little bit of a mess to clean up afterward, and you can never have too many! Pick up some seasonal towels that could be used for decoration or some that fit her kitchen theme. Some common ones are farmhouse, chickens/roosters, wine and grapes, or western.
- Parchment Paper or a Silicone Baking Mat: Either one of these is a life savor for when you’re using a baking sheet – it ensures things don’t stick, and seems to help the bottoms from getting too browned. You can find parchment paper at pretty much any major grocery store and of course you can also order it online. For a reusable option, look into a silicone baking mat like this. Bonus: most of the time I don’t even have to wash the pan when I’m finished, just the mat.
9. Travel Basket
Alright, the last of our Mother’s Day gift basket ideas! If your mom or wife is anything like the ladies in my life, they are constantly on the go, all the time! This basket is awesome for the business mom who has to take work trips, or the retired mama who spends her days traveling. Don’t forget if there is a vacation coming up this would be practical as well. (Or, hubbies – you could surprise her with a vacation – hint hint!)
- Luggage Set: Surprise her with a new luggage set. These are always nice to have even if you aren’t a frequent flyer. If it is a multi-set and she doesn’t always use all the pieces at one time, the kids could always take over one. For a brighter personality you could go with this one, plus at the airport it is brilliant. You won’t miss it coming around the luggage carousel.
- Luggage Tags: Here are some luggage tags you could add on to be sure no one takes it! When it comes to traveling with kids, this is great if they are supposed to be responsible for their own bag. Don’t forget sleepovers, overnight camps, or if you are traveling with a large group of people.
- Packing Supplies: A space saver in the luggage bags are the organizing sets or the vacuum seal bags. You can fit way more clothing items with these.
- Neck Pillow: Fly in style with this neck pillow. I always thought people who used these were just being extra, but when we flew across the country then had a 6-hour car ride; I will not go without one.
- Travel Books: If mom is traveling to a specific place or new country it would be amazing to learn about beforehand. Pick up a couple of books that talk about the culture and language to prepare. Plus, this can count for when she has some downtime to read or to pass time by while on the way.
- Selfie Stick: Yep, I’m going there, haha. If the family is headed for vacation or if it’s just a new destination for work, she may want to take some pictures. Snatch a selfie stick. As silly as they may sound, these are a lifesaver when you want to capture special moments and don’t really have a dedicated person to take pictures. Plus, if you are traveling as a group you want everyone to be in the photo, right?
- Camera SD Cards: If she uses her camera often you could add some SD cards for more storage.
- Weather Gear: You never know what the weather will be like – and if you’re planning on doing some outdoorsy stuff, it would be nice to not get soaking wet. These ponchos are great to travel with, very compact and could be thrown away after they were used. If you wanted something that could be reusable, here are some compact umbrellas.
- Travel Wallet: This has to be the COOLEST travel accessory ever. It’s called the travel wallet. It has all the slots for credit cards, plane tickets, passport holder and more. They offer the wallet in all sorts of colors, plus it’s compact enough to carry in a small purse.
Time to Make Your Own Mother’s Day Gift Basket!
There you have it, nine great ideas to get you started with the perfect Mother’s Day DIY gift basket. Some additional items you may need are tissue paper, a gift bag (if you aren’t actually going to put it in a “basket”), basket wrapping, a card, and maybe some decorative “grass” to fill in some spaces or make it more colorful.