Statistics show that about 75% of annual weight gain occurs during the holiday season. Do something special for yourself this year and avoid joining the masses who pack on the pounds between Thanksgiving and the New Year!
Here are my Top 10 tips for Healthy Holidays!
1. Focus on protein and vegetables. The veggies platter is your friend. It will help you fill up before the big meal. Keep your plate filled with more veggies and protein to feel fuller longer.
2. Eat slowly. Put your fork down between bites. Thoroughly chew your food.
3. Keep hydrated. Aim for 8-10 glasses of water a day. Dehydration can kick in easily with those holiday cocktails.
4. Keep Moving. try to stick to your normal exercise routine. If you can’t get to the gym or you are out of town, find a way to move every day.
5. Plan ahead. Pack food for traveling and resistance bring bands to exercise on the road.
6. Minimize your alcohol intake. Switch between an alcoholic drink and water to reduct your intake and minimize the chance for a hangover too.
7. Learn to say no. Don’t feel rude if you pass on the second helpings. Say you are saving room for dessert or ate too many of the delicious appetizers. You can use excuses that won’t offend the host.
8. Slow down. Learn to take breaks from the stress of holiday shopping, cooking, travel, etc. Take a long stroll, a bubble bath, anything that will bring you back down to earth for a while.
9. Be grateful. Take time to reflect on the year that is coming to a close. Be grateful for the blessings that have come into your life.
10. Get enough sleep. Aim for 7-10 hours a night. I a mess when I get less than 8 hours. Know what number of hours works best for you. Less sleep can add to stress and weight gain.
You CAN survive the holidays in a healthy way. What are some of your favorite tips?
I think the admin of this site is actually working hard for his web page, for the reason that here every
material is quality based information.
Excellent tips. It’s great to have a reminder that you don’t have deprive yourself at the holidays as long as you stay smart and follow a couple super easy tips!
Great tips! As much as I love water, I forget number 3 often. Sometimes I realize it’s been a whole day and I haven’t drank anything!
Definitely a good thing to think about this now until it’s too late.
Great tips! I like to live by everything in moderation. I do my best not to overindulge and only partake in the foods I truly enjoy. Often times one bite is plenty. Thanks for the tips!
these are some amazing tips. I am definitely going to try them
Great things to remember during this season of not so healthy choices!
These are such great tips! It’s important to remember our health while we’re busy with the hustle and bustle of the holidays!
Great tips!! I know I need to schedule in a few runs after post holiday parties 🙂
During the holidays we all know how hard it is to eat healthy. I feel the ten tips are very useful. Number three is probably the biggest issue for me. I don’t drink enough water. I need to focus more on water than pop or lemonade, especially since I’m an athlete.
Learn to say no is my biggest problem. I think if I just stayed away from the food, I’d be better off.
Eating slowly is a big one for me – I usually don’t remember to slow down until I am actually done with food
Oh ya, sleep is definitely lacking and I’m working on the holidays too so it’s no fun!
I struggle with #7. My MIL takes in personally if you refuse second helpings of her southern cooking. great tips!
All good tips. I agree with saying no. No one should be insulted if you don’t want to eat something.
I think taking breaks during all of the hustle and bustle of the holidays is one of the best tips. We always forget to take care of ourselves while we are running around looking after others!