Statistics show that about 75% of annual weight gain occurs during the holiday season. Do something special for yourself this year and avoid joining the masses who pack on the pounds between Thanksgiving and the New Year!
Here are my Top 10 tips for Healthy Holidays!
1. Focus on protein and vegetables. The veggies platter is your friend. It will help you fill up before the big meal. Keep your plate filled with more veggies and protein to feel fuller longer.
2. Eat slowly. Put your fork down between bites. Thoroughly chew your food.
3. Keep hydrated. Aim for 8-10 glasses of water a day. Dehydration can kick in easily with those holiday cocktails.
4. Keep Moving. try to stick to your normal exercise routine. If you can’t get to the gym or you are out of town, find a way to move every day.
5. Plan ahead. Pack food for traveling and resistance bring bands to exercise on the road.
6. Minimize your alcohol intake. Switch between an alcoholic drink and water to reduct your intake and minimize the chance for a hangover too.
7. Learn to say no. Don’t feel rude if you pass on the second helpings. Say you are saving room for dessert or ate too many of the delicious appetizers. You can use excuses that won’t offend the host.
8. Slow down. Learn to take breaks from the stress of holiday shopping, cooking, travel, etc. Take a long stroll, a bubble bath, anything that will bring you back down to earth for a while.
9. Be grateful. Take time to reflect on the year that is coming to a close. Be grateful for the blessings that have come into your life.
10. Get enough sleep. Aim for 7-10 hours a night. I a mess when I get less than 8 hours. Know what number of hours works best for you. Less sleep can add to stress and weight gain.
You CAN survive the holidays in a healthy way. What are some of your favorite tips?